Find the Right Real Estate Agent to Sell Your Home
Selling your home is one of the biggest financial and emotional experiences you'll ever go through. Real estate agents can guide you through this process with specialized knowledge of market conditions, legal contracts, negotiation, disclosure laws, and professional marketing strategies.
The right real estate agent will maximize your profit, streamline the process and be there to guide you every step of the way.
As with any job, being an expert in the field is crucial. The most important areas a real estate professional should have exceptional knowledge in are:
- Area Expert
Find an agent that specializes in your neighborhood and has extensive knowledge of local market conditions.
- Pricing Expert
Pricing is a collaborative process based on information about recent sales, current listings, and recently expired listings in your area. Your real estate agent should show you research to support any recommendations.
- Negotiating Expert
Your agent should have specialized knowledge of legal contracts, disclosure laws and the negotiation process.
- Expert at Maximizing Profits
Your agent can help you get top dollar for your property and negotiate contract terms in your favor.
- Marketing Expert
They should have a complete, professional marketing plan that can be catered to your individual property.
When looking for a real estate agent, find someone you are comfortable with and someone who is compatible with your personality. If you don't feel you can ask questions or can openly discuss the home selling process, you have the wrong person! Many agents have desirable qualities but your expectations can set how they work with you.
- Will you mesh well together as business partners?
- What personality suits you best? (Structured, detail-oriented, friendly, persuasive, sensitive, analytical, persistent.)
- Make a list of the most important traits you want in your real estate agent. (Assertive, loyal, methodical, organized, networked, good communicator, good judgment, enthusiastic, ambitious, trustworthy, committed, experienced)
Agents should have referrals from past clients. You can ask for referrals or check their website for client testimonials.
- Newer agents may only have a few referrals but don't be deterred' the quality of work that an agent produces is most important. Any agent should show you how their expertise and services match your needs.
- Experienced agents often emphasize the number of years in the business or transactions they have closed. They should have plenty of referrals and a track record of outstanding service. In addition, they should show you their quality of work and how their services match your needs.